Saturday, June 20, 2009

Work Ethic (Jan, 2009)

I'm tired of this work/time-to-live-life ratio.
I want more time to live. to do what I want.
And when I mention work,
I'm not solely referring to the amount of hours
I'm paid to sit at a desk at Massage Envy every week.
I'm including the time I'm spending at this very moment,
or should be spending, writing an article for journalism
I could care less for.
School and work.
Consume my life.
They're supposed to, right?
WHY?
That's crap.
I beleive we'd have a happier human race if we could afford to switch the ratio.
But not in this world.
Not in my lifetime at least.
We go to school and work our whole lives so we can afford to do what we want.
To go camping, or out to breakfast, or to the movies, or to Disneyland.
But all those activities- the reasons as to why we slave our lives away-
are only vacations.
Temporary moments that provide just enough sanity to return to our ball and chain lifestyles. We'd like to believe those vacations are who we are,
but the more we slave away,
the more we lose ourselves in a false reality of greed and gossip in dress slacks.
There's 168 hours in the week.
around 50 is spent sleeping.
around 40 is spent working.
Currently, 12 or more is spent at school.
That takes us down to 66 hours.
With this remaining 66 hours,
a large portion is spent on homework and stress about homework or work work.
After that, we take out the time it takes to eat each meal of the day,
the time it takes to get ready for the day,
and the amounts of time we spend waiting in between instances.
What's left?
Scraps.
In our society,
the only time left to live life as we dreamed we would as kids,
is the scraps.
I want more than scraps.

1 comment: