Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Tax Refund- Whatever shall I do with you?

So- I just got my tax refund back (Unlike Denver, who's owing this year *snicker, snicker*).

This was the first year my pops had handed me my tax information and wished me good luck with advice to go to Taxact.com.

I left all of my information to rot for weeks. It just sat in my apartment, waiting to be revealed for the extra dough it would soon add to my bank account.

On Easter Sunday, Denver and I went to his mother's house for MoNkEy BrEaD GeNeRaL cOnFeReNcE. This is a splendid tradition where she makes monkey bread cinnamon buns for breakfast during each general conference. (It's gotten us to attend the last two sessions, so no need to explain how tastey they are.)
 We also went for his mom to help him with (do) his taxes.
By the time they had finished, they had discerned that my lovely boyfriend owes a fine sum of cash to our government thanks to a payroll mistake from Discover Card (his work).
Afterwards, Mama Jensen offered to help me (do) my taxes. (I brought all of my information just in case this opportunity might come up :).
I recieved money back from my federal, state, and from my school tuition from '09. Each time a new green number popped up for my refund she and I would both squeal in excitement. It was cute.
I agreed to take her out to Cafe Rio using my new fortune to thank her for helping me.

So- I suddenly just recieved a month's worth of pay- easy as that. It was a great day.. Not to take away form the holiday and meaning of it- but it was a nice bonus! :)

The question is now- what should I do with it!?

I have had a few tempting ideas:

1) An awesome new camera? I love photography and would love to expand my skill set with a great camera. I've been following a blog recently: NieNieDialogues -She won Best Inspirational Blog of 2010 in City Weekly- check it out. :) She happens to use this camera and I am thinking it would be perfect for what I want. It's abruptly 700-800 dollars.
2)The amazing new iPAd?! Kim just got one of these, and it is SO cool! It has the internet with any apps you want to download and a bunch of awesome features. I could even use it to house my photography portfolio if I choose to advance in that someday. I would want to get the one with the most memory space, so it would be around 700 dollars.

3) save... Everybody says save, and I too know that's what I should do. I tend to save pretty well anywho- I have more money in savings right now than I've ever had before- plus like another 2,000 on top of that. I would like a decent wedding/honeymoon/house/yard one day- so it'd probably be wise of my to just stash it for later. (But where's the fun in that!?)


What do you guys think? I asked this on Facebook as well and the majority has ruled "Save!" but we'll see what the blog world has to say. (I'm sure it'll be the same, boring, wise results. :)

2 comments:

  1. I'm thinking either the camera or just plain save it. If you choose to save it put it quickly in your savings. It will just disappear in a checking account.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's already in my savings... I can take it out from there if I choose to do so, right? I'm sick of Chase and their sneaky fees. And even if I do buy the camera and keep the rest in savings, I'll be saving more than I'm spending. :)

    ReplyDelete