Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sick Days Are the Worst

My apartment should be quarantined. All 3, Denver, Justin, and me have been sick. Denver had some flu bug that kept him home 4/5 work nights last week. Justin's had some sore throat and cough since mid last week. I was doomed between the 2 of them. Sure enough, Monday night it all went downhill.
Shortly after I got home from work, my throat felt as though I'd screamed and damaged it. That feeling continued to worsen and within a few hours I couldn't drink a glass of lemonade without cringing from the pain. By bedtime my throat was absolutely killing me. My head was throbbing and my body was completely stripped of all remaining energy. I cought whatever Justin had. He gave me the remainder of his medications he was taking for it. The Robitussin was/is amazing. That stuff is wonderful on the razor blade-lined throat. He also gave me a few tablets of something else he said was really helping him. I took them and went to bed.
I did not go to sleep, however.
My heart was going crazy all night. I tossed and turned, unable to sleep through the pounding heart beats. By 3:30, I called my boss hoping to leave her a voicemail. I was praying I would eventually fall asleep and I didn't want to have to worry about waking back up to call in sick.
Of course she answered. I was pretty stinking embarrased to not only have woken her up at 3:30 a.m.- but that she answered. I would ignore any call from anyone else but Denver at 3:30 in the morning.
She sounded suprised by the sound of my voice, which sounded nothing like me.
I explained to her that I was feeling awful and had been completely unable to sleep. There was no way I would be able to come into work that morning.
At 4 am I took some more Robitussin and finally crashed. Denver got home at 7. I'm not sure when he came to bed. I do know I slept with him until 5 pm that evening though. All I could do was sleep.
My mom called me to see how I was doing, concerned about the heart racing. I figured it was just part of the bug that was getting to me, but she told me to check out the medications I was taking. The Robitussen had no heart warnings. The other tablets I took before going to bed the night before, however, did. In bold, "Caution: Usage of this medication may cause increased heart rate." You don't say?!? Especially if your heart's already sensitive to such episodes... I felt pretty silly for not having read that before taking it. At least I only took one dose..
I ended up calling in sick the next day. Justin did too. All 3 residents were home, either sleeping or watching tv.

Sick days are horrible.
You can't enjoy the time off work because you feel like crap.
You're bored out of your mind, but you're body's not up to doing anything.
You lose your appeteit, making you feel worse throughout the day.
You wear the same outfit throughout both of the days you stay home from work...
Everything is exhausting.
You're so unfocused and drowsy that you leave your purse at the food establishment you had to force feed youself...
And even though you're still so tired on the third day and all you want to do is cat-nap and re-establish a routine, you know you're too needed at work to stay home again.

Is it Friday yet?


ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment