Monday, June 7, 2010

What a Wild Weekend

Last night was pretty wild. There was a storm- it looked like a tornado was coming with how oddly colored the sky/clouds were, but there was little wind. It started raining, and there was a TON of lightening and thunder. Denver and I were heading to a gas station with his little brother last night and were about 50 feet away from a lightening bolt striking a power pole right in front of us. The Thunder made me scream cuz it was so close and loud. It was so weird being that close- it sounded like a gunshot- you could feel the boom. Sparks went flying on the power pole and then all the nearby traffic lights went out. When we got back to Denver's mom's all the power in her neightborhood was out. We saw the bolt that hit the power pole! How crazy is that?
Then on Denver's and my way home we passed a canal that was majorly flooding- a lane of traffic had been closed because there was so much water and there was tons of people sand bagging yards. This morning I guess the flooding's worse and 5300 south by my house is closed all together from all the water. One of my coworkers just called in saying her finished basement has over 2 feet of water in it... The flood straight up busted her window and filled the place. He lil sports car is stuck in the flood... so crazy. Normally our snow would have started to melt a month ago but we had an usually cold May and randomly here we're getting two 90 degree days in a row after 60 degree weather. Yesterday was SCORCHING hot and today's going to be worse, but there are at least over 500 volunteers helping out today so helpfully there won't be as much damage. Here's a link to the KSL news report on the flooding. Here's a bunch of the pictures posted on KSL of the flood waters. Crazy stuff. Many buildings and bridges are heavily damaged. This is all Little Cottonwood Creek that's become a raging river. Crazy stuff...



Denver bought a new car over the weekend. It's a 2007 Volkswagon Passat- 2.0 liter turbo- V6 engine- tiptronic shifting- 40,000 miles- black exterior/black leather interior.
This is what is looks like: (Not his actual car. His hubcaps are cooler.)
This is what it looks like while he's driving: (Again, not his actual car.)

It's a sweet ride, for sure. And it's nice that he now has something reliable. We were afraid his Grand Cherokee wasn't even going to get us to the dealership. We're lucky he found something he loves. Only thing was, he got rear ended within 24 hours of owning it... We were on our way to his mom's house last night when it happened. Luckily it was just after the light had changed at an intersection so I'd just barely taken my foot off the break and onto the gas. I'm sure there would have been much more damage if it hadn't had that give. There wasn't enough damage for the cop to file a report, so we'll just have to see what'll happen. Boy was Denver angry... I kept telling him it could have been worse, but at that point I'm thinking he was wishing it had been worse so that the cop could've filed a report to use against their insurance... oh well. At least it wasn't a life.

I SWEAR I will get pictures of the trip and of Denver's new car up soon- his laptop just doesn't like me and the itnernet freezes every time i try. I'll have to find another way.

Hope everyone had a good weekend and not too many people were effected by this flooding. :(
My prayers go out to whoever was hit by it.

2 comments:

  1. soooooooo cute! i love getting new wheels. :D our new little Subaru is amazing. (well we got it in november) haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you guys got a Suburu! What kind? An Outback? I'm so jealous of his car... He let me drive it to work this morning, and can I just say I feel like a BAMF in that thing... oh man.

    ReplyDelete