Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Rosco's First Swim

Yesterday Denver and I took Rosco over to Murray Park with intentions to make him play in the water.
I've been itching to see if he'll be a water dog and enjoy swimming.
We took him over to where Little Cottonwood Creek opens up and shallows. It's so shallow now that there's a pretty big island in the middle of it and you can get out to it at a few parts without even getting wet. I walked down to the middle with Rosco and then started wading in the water. He was just concerned with keeping close so he didn't fight the water. It was cute to watch him try to hop through the water like a rabbit. He's a splasher, that pup.
We eventually made our way to deeper waters once he got used to walking around in it.
It amazes me how natural swimming can be for certain breeds. Once his feet no longer touched he didn't even seem uncertain when he transitioned to doggy paddling. Again, he was mostly concerned with keeping by my side- afraid I would abandon him in the foreign water. My legs are all sorts of scratched up from him paddling right by me. He was swimming faster than I could wade through the water. I eventually was in up to my hips, and he was doing great.
My Dad's probably going to be mad at me for making my 5 month old puppy swim- if you're reading this Pops- I was sure to not have him in the water too long and we dried him off entirely afterwards- he was never very cold.
I'd like to think he enjoyed the swim. I'd also like to get him into slightly warmer, stiller water to play with him in sometime, but as for now, he deserves some more land time. :)

I'm just stoked he swam!

No comments:

Post a Comment